Saturday, August 14, 2010

Found Poem: Fear of the Little Lady from the Cottages


Above is a photo of a flyer I recently found on the windshield of my car, after I returned to Honolulu from a trip to New York. I park in my neighborhood's private parking garage (gated), so finding any flyer is a rare occurrence, let alone a flyer authored by someone with extreme paranoia.

At first, I thought, if this isn't poetic vetanda, then I don't know what is! (i.e. are those line breaks forced via word processing margins, or are they intentional?) Besides the lack of a period at the end of note, the commas are correctly placed (but what's with the lowercase letters? was the author is such a rush to warn me about the little lady in the cottages?). Maybe I should publish this in the next issue of the Hawaii Review?

Then, I thought, maybe I should be terrified. My boyfriend pointed out the possibility that the author thinks that I am the little lady in the cottages who is spreading falsehoods, lies, and inaccuracies (what did you do, look up synonyms for "lies" on dictionary.com?) throughout Honolulu. Well anonymous passive-agressive flyer poster...is it true? Are you trying to shake me down?

Well, I have come to the conclusion that the only way to fully enjoy this absurd joy, is to share it. So, enjoy. As Paul Valery said, "A man who is 'of sound mind' is one who keeps the inner madman under lock and key" (The Art of Poetry).

No comments: